The Regulatory Week in Review: January 17, 2014
- The U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) heard oral arguments in the recess appointment power case, National Labor Review Board v. Noel Canning.
- President Barack Obama told state governors that he plans to use executive authority and regulations to advance his agenda.
- Federal financial regulators agreed to ease Volcker rule restrictions on CDOs for small banks.
- The U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs discussed concerns over Wall Street banks’ ownership of physical commodities.
- Paul Volcker, former Chair of the Fed, called for tighter oversight of the municipal bond market.
- The Fed sought external input on how to regulate banks in commodity markets before upcoming hearing.
- British officials asked the European Union (EU) not to move forward with legislation regulating shale gas exploitation.